MSP Member Update Vol. 11 No. 10
February 9, 2012
In This Issue: IMPORTANT NOTICE
New NIHB Agreement – Please Read
The Manitoba Society of Pharmacists’ Economics Committee has reached a one year
Memorandum of Understanding with Health Canada on the Non- Insured Health Benefits Program.
The Agreement is effective Feb. 6, 2012 and calls for an increase to the maximum professional fee from $10.05 to $10.55.
As with past agreements members are reminded that the Usual and Customary Fee is to be charged if it is less than $10.55.
The wording of this agreement is substantially different from past agreements and members are encouraged to read the document carefully. Other key aspects to the agreement include:
- The flat fee for prescribed over the counter drugs and diagnostic agents and supplies is $5.28 effective Feb. 6, 2012. This is a nominal increase (50% of the new professional fee).
- For medical supplies and equipment a staggered fee has been introduced. NIHB will pay actual acquisition cost plus a maximum mark-up, up to a maximum amount equivalent to the usual and customary fee (regular retail price),
- for items with an AAC of $28.00 or less, actual acquisition cost plus a mark-up of 66%; or
- for items with an AAC between $28.01 and $75.00, actual acquisition cost plus a mark-up of 50%; and
- for items with an AAC between $75.01 and $500.00, actual acquisition cost plus a mark-up of 40%, with a cap of $200.
This list is not exhaustive and MSP encourages all NIHB providers to become familiar with all the terms of the agreement. A copy has been posted to the MSP website and can be downloaded here.