Malpractice Insurance for
Member Pharmacists 2013/2014
WHAT TO DO IN CASE OF A CLAIM AGAINST YOU
- Do NOT admit any responsibility of liability.
- Immediately contact CPBA to report the details of the incident.
- Co-operate with CPBA insurance adjuster and legal advisors.
What Does Your Malpractice Insurance Policy Give You?
- 24 hour personal coverage.
- Protection if your employer does not adequately protect you.
- Legal expenses up to $50,000 for disciplinary actions while under investigation, or when called upon to appear before a disciplinary committee.
- Legal defense costs for disciplinary actions, whether or not you are at fault. The Insurance Company will defend the Pharmacist for legal expenses arising from any hearing, or in defense of any action under the provisions of any Provincial Discipline Legislation, subject to the policy wording. These expenses include lawyer fees, and in the event that a hearing or action is instituted, lawyer fees arising from consultation prior to the hearing or action.
- Coverage while you perform voluntary pharmacy work.
- Coverage while you perform part time pharmacy work.
- Coverage for claims first brought within Canada. Optional additional coverage is available for claims brought in the United States of America.
Exclusions & Limitations:
- Claims resulting from deliberate, dishonest, criminal, or fraudulent acts.
- Situations where other valid insurance applies (except for the excess of limits).
- No reimbursement for fines, penalties, punitive or exemplary damages.
- Limit of legal expense coverage is $50,000.00
- All claims must be filed within Canada.
- All claims or circumstances which could reasonably give rise to a claim, must be reported during the existing policy period.
Store or institutional malpractice insurance is often shared by other pharmacists and it is possible that the store, or institution, either does not have insurance, does not have sufficient limits, or may have provisions for repayment of any claim the insurance company pays on your behalf.
The policy will pay all sums for which you become legally obligated to pay for claims made against you. The damages include injury arising out of the rendering or failure to render service in the practice of the profession of a pharmacist.
Active Members, New Graduate Active Members & CSHP-MB Members in good standing of the Manitoba Society of Pharmacists receive an automatic $2 million per occurrence and/ $4 Million aggregate in malpractice insurance.
Additional malpractice insurance is also offered with $5 Million per occurrence/aggregate. For more information call The Manitoba Society of Pharmacists at (204) 956-6681 or contact us.